Delight yourself with this wonderfully smooth decadent fall soup.
- 4 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 2 large chopped leeks – white and green parts
- 6 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 large broccoli head – only crowns, chopped
- 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 piece of multigrain bread for croutons
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and 4 teaspoons thyme; sauté until leeks are almost soft, reducing heat if needed to prevent rapid browning. Add some liquid if needed.
- Add broccoli and 2 1/2 cups broth to pot; bring to boil. Cover. Boil until vegetables are tender – 8-10 min. Take the pot off the stove once done.
- In a meanwhile add to the blender 1 cup of cashews and 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add to the pot with teh vegetables after the pot is off the stove.
- Puree soup in the blender until smooth. You may need to do in batches. Thin soup with more broth, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the bread into squares. Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a pan, add the bread squares, cook them on low heat, stir occasionally and/or turn around so it pan bakes evenly. Cook about 5 min. Once done – they need to be slightly brown and very crisp.
- Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons chopped thyme and homemade croutons.